4/5/11

Gum for my boat (2009)



Welcome to Bangladesh. It is one of the poorest, overpopulated and inefficiently-governed nations in Asia. Many of the direct victims of the social inequality that pervades in the country are street children. But, although the future seems rather grim for these kids, there are people that continue fighting to change things and to bring a spark of joy to their lifes.

Cox Bazar, a fishing town in southern Bangladesh, was chosen back in 2001 by the NGO SSurf the Nations to receive a full aid program that included not only social and medical assistance but also the founding of a local surf club. As the Bangladesh Surf Club started its activity ( with over 35 surfboards and bodyboards donated) it became an instant success. Presently there are over 70 members, boys and girls that share their love for the sport.b And, how the members of Surfing the Nations like to stress after eight years of working for the community "the members of the surf club, are no longer categorized as ´the street kids` or ´the uneducated`, they are now recognized as surfers. With this new founded identity, a community of young men and woman are working together to serve their city. Participating in large beach cleanups, teaching ocean safety, swimming lessons and of course surfing; they have enthusiastically embraced the motto of Surfing The Nations - surfers giving back".

What you get in Gum for my Boat, is a rigorous account of the events that changed the poor community. The documentary results in a well-filmed movie, greatly edited and filled with equal moments of sadness and hapiness at the same time. The redemptive power of surfing in a depressed community makes it a movie hard to forget for a long time. I think I have something in my eye now...

Verdict: 7/10

Website of the movie: http://www.gumformyboat.com/

45 comments:

  1. that was a pretty amazing video, its kind of hard to believe that surfing was able to do so much for so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that the surf club can help so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate movies like these because it makes me realize how their are kids suffering out there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice video!great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to add this to the list to watch! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a awsome surf movie! im going to watch now! thanX!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds like a great movie. Might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a crazy ass intense plot...

    WIll chec it out when I have the time, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like an interesting documentory
    ill have to check it out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice write up of the movie. I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it never would have even occurred to me that surfing could help people in so many ways 0.0

    I like your writing style and the topic, following!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a little depressing, but mostly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to look into watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting i will definetly watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Bangladesh. Fascinating culture

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was pretty good. I'll share it to some people

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you think, I didn't know much about it before but I understand it very well the way you wrote it.

    Following!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, that really looks awesome, totaly following!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm more of a skateboarder myself, but i do love surfing. great blog! i'll be sure to check out more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do snow surf ^^ over here it's kinda far to reach any beach with waves. But amazing video, I'll look forward to your videos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just started surfing a while back. Awesome video, I'll be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post! Just started following!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome looking movie! I've got so much to watch because of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like an interesting movie, I'm looking it up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. look alright! thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely checking this movie out in the near future. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! Keep up the good blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yeah I'm going to put this on my radar as well I'd like to see this

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like a touching documentary I must watch!

    ReplyDelete
  30. good stuff. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...